Friday, November 16, 2012

The war, the lover and the owl - poetry by Tsitsi S.A. Sachikonye

Photobucket  



“The violence of love is as much to be dreaded as that of hate.''
Henry David Thoreau

 A week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers




Beyond war
is a desperate night.


I listen to the jiggle
of centipedes
their legs studded with warts.



Upon an ant colony
lichen creeps like grief
my tears,
an absinthe of sloth,
drip onto the devil’s leaf
while the emperor moth
flutters his wings in fright.



Underwater jets murmur
as I stir,
as I blur.

I hear
the muffle of winds
rapt with disquiet
and rain trickle on bulbs.



Again,
the grass wears its blouse of dew
and your neck slinks
like a spook.


I revel
in the tint of your eyes
a raven,
trapped in two pits.



Clouds flit
in azure skies
they are just as shy
as you.

Those I loved,
I buried in war.


My body is medused.



Spiky roots
writhe between my nostrils.
Angst crawls,
thoughts prickle
and brawl like dragons.


Those I loved,
I buried in war.



Within my wretched heart,
I wrest my wrath.
There,
beneath the edifice,
an awry grey slithers.





Biography

 Tsitsi S.A. Sachikonye is a 25 year old Zimbabwean currently completing her Master of Social Science degree in French & Francophone Literature at Rhodes University, Grahamstown South Africa. She is also a professional singer and song writer. Tsitsi extremely enjoys learning a new language, travelling, literature, singing, creative writing and performance poetry.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment